I have always been fascinated by insects, especially spiders and so ı loved researching and writing my spider book. I thought you would like to know a few things about spiders, so here you are:
- The fastest spider is the Camel spider and he lives in hot desert regions. He can run across the sand at 10-12 mph. ( maybe it’s because the sand is so hot that he has to run so fast). He also likes the shade and often people think they are being chased by a Camel spider, but it is because you have moved and taken the shade with you.
- The female house spider can run 330 times its own length in 10 seconds, this is faster than a cheetah in proportion to its size ( that’s why we can never catch them).
- The deadliest spider is the Funnel Web spider from Australia. It is very aggressive and its fangs are so strong that they can bite through a human fingernail. The next deadliest is the Black Widow spider and that is why she has this name.
- The smallest known spider is the Patu Digua spider and it is only ⅓ millimeter long!
- The largest known spider is the Goliath Birdeater Tarantula of South America, and yes, it
really does eat birds! It has a 12 inch (30 cms) leg span when fully extended and can weigh over 120 grams. It lives in deep burrows and likes marshy or swampy areas. Sometimes it will dig its burrow itself or take over an abandoned burrow left by rodents or similar creatures. I am pretty sure that if I was living in a burrow and saw A Goliath coming my way, I would quickly abandon my burrow to him!
- Most species of spiders only bite humans in self defense but the Brazilian Wandering Spider often attacks humans.
- There have only been 100 reported deaths from spider bites in the 20th century, that actually only works out to one a year.
- In Cambodia, cooked tarantula is a delicacy.
- Most spiders live on their own but a few species of spiders build webs together and live in communities of up to 50,000. That’s quite a lot of spiders in one place!
I know spiders make us all go ‘arghhh’ but they are still fascinating creatures and very clever.
If you also have a fascination for spiders then you will love my book available for Kindle and similar. Although it is titled ‘Creep Crawly Kids Spider Book,’ do not be put off. It is written for 9 -10 years and upwards, and we are all still kids at heart, aren’t we? Just click on the book cover on the right of this page and go straight to the Amazon page to see it.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!