Have you ever noticed that some people stride when they are walking and some seem to shuffle?
It seems to be that the striders are happy with their lives and the shufflers are not sure of their direction.
Personal Changes To Be Happy In 2014
I have a few ideas that may help you have a better life in 2014. Even if you follow a few of them, you will be a happier person.
- Try and surround yourself with positive people. Negative people drain your energy and if you have to drop a few of them, it will be better for you.
- Resilience, not happiness, is actually the opposite of depression. There is a wonderful Japanese Proverb that proves it. ‘Fall seven times, stand up eight times’.
- Get enough sleep; if your mind will not switch off, then read a good book before you sleep to empty your mind.
- Don’t always have serious conversations. Of course they are good, but sometimes you need to give your brain a rest.
- Meditate regularly if you enjoy it, but if that is not your thing, then at least just sit and let your mind empty occasionally.
- Take time to appreciate simple pleasures, not always big ones. You know what I mean, the colours of the flowers in your garden or the sound of a child laughing.
- Smile, but not in a forced way. Even if times are intense and you think you have nothing to smile about, you do! Dig in to your memories of a lovely memory that will make you smile. Smiling activates part of your brain that is so important for your well-being.
- Don’t always talk, take time to listen. That is why you have two ears and one mouth, so that you can do twice as much listening.
- Keep in touch with friends. It is not easy, but you will feel better for it.
- Give. It does not have to be in a big way, but it makes you feel better, apart from the person you are giving to.
- Listen to music; it is great relaxation or even a driving force.
- Be an optimist, not a pessimist; in other words, your glass is always half full, not half empty.
- Make sure you get outside your home into the fresh air every day, even if it is only for a short while. Even better, take some regular exercise; your body will love you for it.
- And last, but not least, LAUGH. It is the best medicine for a better you!
So, there you have it. Not difficult rules of life but I promise you will feel better even if you only follow a few of them.
Have a wonderful New Year and I hope 2014 is everything you wish for.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!