“The proper function of man is to live, not to exist”.
I read this quote a few days ago and it really got me thinking about how so many of us lead our lives dictated by technology, even our young children.
What am I doing now, sitting down at my laptop to write this article for you. Maybe it is something we all have to accept but is it a good thing? It is like that saying, do not forget to smell the flowers!
So I came up with a few things you should take time out to enjoy, you obviously have to work on your laptop but save a bit of ‘self time’ during the day.
Ways To Enjoy Life More
- Spend some time outside every day, even if it walking around your garden with a cup of coffee.
- Give yourself a break watching the news as most of the time it is so depressing, and let’s face it, if there was something you really needed to do, a friend will tell you.
- Slow down once in a while; stress is so bad for you and those around you.
- If you have a passion in life, then make more time for it.
- When you eat, enjoy your food, do not just eat to exist.
- Watch a funny film; laughter is the best medicine.
- If you don’t do any regular exercise, then start, even if it is going for a walk. Exercise is a great way to clear your mind and re-energize yourself.
- Watch the occasional sunset or look at a star-studded sky.
- I bet you have too many books you want to read; well, start reading them.
- Do a little voluntary work; you will soon see you are better off than you thought.
- Rather than play computer games, spend some time with friends to have fun, a game of cards, chess or backgammon.
Do you see where I am going with all this? It is too easy to say ‘I haven’t got time’. Well, you have got time, but you don’t know how much, so use it wisely. There is a beautiful world out there and maybe you are missing out on that.
Who laid down the rules that we all have to work so much and not have fun? Before technology invaded us, life was so different. Of course it was hard, same as now, but free time meant free time. And make sure you teach your children these choices as they are a generation that lock themselves away in their rooms and forget how to be ‘real’ children.
So, I am leaving you all with these thoughts and I hope you follow up on at least a couple of them. In the meanwhile, I am turning off my laptop and going for a walk along the beach and later share a bottle of wine with my girlfriends.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!