Sharks have always fascinated me and I think they are quite misunderstood.
There are stories in books about these interesting creatures and, of course, too many movies that are often very scary.
But I am going to share with you a few really interesting facts about many types of sharks that I bet you do not know.
Weird And Wonderful Shark Facts
- Sharks can see behind them almost as well as they can see in front of them.
- Sharks ears are on the inside of their bodies.
- A shark can go for at least 6 weeks without eating. The record is held by a Swell Shark in an aquarium who didn’t eat for 15 months. (maybe he was just a fussy eater)
- A Bull shark is the only shark to be able to live in salt or sea water. They can do this by regulating the salt and other substances in their blood.
- You can tell the age of a shark by counting the rings that form on its vertebra. This is very similar in how you age a tree by counting the rings in the trunk.
- A sharks body has no bones; their skeleton is made up of cartilage.
- Sharks need up to four days to digest their food That could be because they are well known to eat a lot of rubbish, even such as a suit of armour. True!!
- Some sharks can live to be up to a hundred years old.
- Natives of the Pacific Islands often used shark teeth to make harpoons and weapons.
- Female sharks are longer than male sharks.
- Believe or not, sometimes sharks can be fussy eaters. They can take a bite of something and if they don’t like the taste, they spit it out and move on to a new prey.
The Wobbegong and Angel sharks are so flat, they look as if they are part of the sandy sea bottom.
- In Borneo, the saw from the Sawfish shark is covered in cloth and hung over the cradle to stop babies crying. Scary! It is probably why they stop crying!
Well, there you go, a little information about these wonderful creatures to impress your friends.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!